Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The perfect choice may not need to be perfect

I recently got my drivers license and after a brief period of excitement and celebration I realized that there was one crucial detail of the situation that I had overlooked: I could now legally drive but I didn't have a car to do the driving in.

Buying your first car is a very difficult task that requires a series of very difficult decisions, and this decision terrified me. I knew I wanted the perfect car but like many other teenagers looking for a car, I had no idea what I was looking for. Sure I had heard that "Japanese cars are reliable" and to "Be careful with American cars" but I didn't want a purchase as big as this to be decided by a few small testimonies. So I did what every other tech loving person would do, and went straight to the internet to do some research, and oh boy did I have a lot of research to do.

There was an army of cars in front of me and I hadn't the slightest idea where to start. So I started narrowing it down and after hours of careful selection, I was left with a short list of cars with a long list of differences. I never knew there were so many features in a car and choosing what was important to me at a price that was manageable was an excruciatingly tedious task. So I scoured the internet for every review and comparison available until I was practically an expert on each car and that was the thought that had been floating in the back of my mind finally hit me: does it really matter?

Why do I need a car with a touchscreen or a car with heated seats? Why do I need a car with 170 horsepower and 200 lbs. or torque? I lost sight of the real reason that a car is necessary: to get from point A to point B. This simple task doesn't require the nicest and newest of vehicles, just one that was reliable and can do what is needed of it.

So I summed up all of my research, chose what I thought was the best car for me, and went out and got it. No more stress, no more over thinking, no more indecisiveness, just a choice, and that choice ended up being perfect.

By no means am I suggesting that you go out and buy a car without first putting some time into your decision, after all it is a big purchase. Just don't let yourself get obsessed with making your decision. Don't forget about the real purpose of a car: transportation. Having the latest and greatest features may be nice, but sometimes something cool on paper may not be as practical in real life. But regardless of what you choose, you'll likely end up with a car that you love, just like I did.

I'm happy with the car I chose, now I just need to think of a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment